What Are the Potential Risks of Mold?
Mold loves damp, warm places and it grows and spreads best in humid conditions. It's something that can be found both indoors and outdoors and survives all year round. Not only is mold unattractive and ugly when it shows up in your home, but it is also believed to promote a number of symptoms in people who are affected by it.
Reactions to Mold
Not everyone is affected by mold and some people are more sensitive to it than others. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mold has the potential to cause irritation on the skin, watery eyes and stuffy noses. In more severe cases it may lead to a fever and shortness of breath, according to the government source.
An Unwelcome Addition
For most people, mold is more of an annoyance than anything. It's known to show up as dark black or blue spots in your shower, on your basement walls or even in your kitchen. For homeowners, this only adds more upkeep to the long list of chores. Taking precautions ahead of time and installing fans and using humidifiers in your home will help prevent mold from growing in the first place. This can save you the headache of having to scrub and clean your shower walls later on.
Mold can also grow in damp leaf piles, outdoor garbage bins and on potted plants. When working outdoors, raking or gardening, molds can be avoided by wearing gloves. A face mask is also recommended if you know you will be dealing with a hefty amount of mold. Other places that have the potential for promoting mold growth are old homes, antique shops, farms and construction areas. Take precautions when working or moving about these places.